The firm of Edwards & Roberts was founded in 1845, and had premises at 21 Wardour Street, London. They were primarily cabinet makers and produced some of the very finest furniture of the late Victorian and Edwardian era. By 1892 they occupied more than a dozen buildings in Wardour Street, where they continued to trade until the end of the century.
Known and feted as one of the leading London cabinet makers and retailers, they worked in a variety of styles, both modern and revivalist. Their marquetry work was of a quality that equalled the creations of the French ébenistes of the 18th century.
The business involved making and retailing their own output, as well as adapting and restoring both English & Continental antique furniture. Many examples that passed through their hands bear their stamp or trade label, such as this exquisite rosewood Bonheur du Jour, or ladies writing desk. Dating from about 1820, the stamp ‘Edwards & Roberts Wardour St London’ is in the right hand drawer. It is a supremely elegant Regency piece, with its delicate turned and reeded legs, and fine brass gallery.